Sunday, June 8, 2008

Saffron Rice with Shrimp

It's been a while since the last entry. I've been busy with work and other stresses. Been cooking old stuff and haven't done any new recipes in a while.

This new one I found in a free little recipe book in a rice cooker that my mom gave me. The dish sounds very easy to make, so I changed the vegetables up a bit and added shrimp because I like shrimps. The shrimps and rice are made separately.

First for the shrimps.

1 lb of shrimps shell on
garlic powder
red curry powder
olive oil
red pepper powder
salt and pepper

I throw everything listed above in a ziplock bag and let in marinade for about an hour.

Next is the rice.

2 cups of white rice
a box of chicken broth, about 30 oz.
5 stems of asparagus
2 stems of green onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 serrano peppers
a tiny tiny bit of saffron maybe a tenth of an oz.
salt and pepper to season.
some cilantro for later.


The ziplock bag in the picture is the shrimp marinading.

The saffron is expensive. I bought a half oz package of it for 27 bucks. Whatever it is, it better good.

I chop up all the vegetables small and all the rice ingredients except for the cilantro into the rice cooker and cook.

I pan fried the shrimps and it smelled delicious.



The rice was not ready but I cannot wait so I ate a couple of the shrimps.

Once the rice cooker is done, let it rest for about 15 minutes. This is suppose to let the moisture get absorb back into the rice.

Now it is ready to plate.



This is very good. The shrimp was perfect. The rice taste great, maybe a bit too wet, but not bad. I still can't identify the taste of the saffron, but if it is the general goodness of the rice, then it was worth it. At 27 bucks a half oz, this is like the most expensive spice in my cabinet.

The rice cooker is great. At first I thought I used too much broth, but the rice cooker just cook the broth away without burning the rice. What's left is a very flavorful rice.

-a

No comments: