Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Chili

I just thought it's about time I learn to make chili. It's winter time, there is nothing better than coming in from the cold to a hot bowl of chili. ...Well, I can think of a couple things, but this blog is about food.

2 pounds of grounded beef/pork combo
1 big red bell pepper
1 white onion
1 jalapeño
1 cubanelle pepper
2 cloves of garlic
28 oz can of diced tomato
10 oz can of kidney beans
10 oz can of black beans (later added)
6 oz can of Tomato paste (later added)
grounded pepper
salt
chili powder
cumin
a bottle of sam adams winter lager



First I seasoned the meat with cumin, pepper, and salt, then brown the meat in a big pot on high heat. Take the cooked meat out but leave the meat fat in the pot. Finely chop up the vegetables and in the pot they goes. Cook the vegetables on medium heat season with chili powder and more cumin, salt and pepper. When they start to smell good, put the meat back in and stir. Oh this is important, when chopping the jalapeño and cubanelle, take the middle guts and the seeds out and throw them away. That is where the death heat are. You don't want any of that.

Then I pour in the beer, diced tomato, and kidney beans and bring to a boil.



This was originally all the ingredients I had. The consistency seems off. It was too thin. So I made a quick run to the store for a can of tomato paste. I also picked up a can of black beans to add. I added the new extra ingredients and now it looks right.



I keep tasting to test and season accordingly. I let it simmer for about an hour and a half and it's done.



The chili was good. For a first time chili, I was please with what I made. Just the right amount of heat. The proportions of meat to sauce to beans to vege was just right. Good job Alex!

Chili is one of those things that can be adjusted every time until the perfect mix is created. So I will definitely make chili again sometime and change it up a bit next time.

-a

1 comment: