Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Ox Tail Soup

This one is from the OG. I added some mushrooms to make it mine.

3 lbs of ox tail
A bunch of black Chinese mushrooms (been soaking overnight)
lots of green onions
a few cloves of garlic
salt
parsley



First trim the excess fat off of the ox tail. Ox tails are fat. Trim them a bit.
Then chop up the green onions and throw them and the garlic in a dutch oven. Then put in the ox tails. Add as much water as the dutch oven will allow. Add some salt. Bring to a boil.



Boil it at medium heat (not simmer) for 3 hours. Skim off the fat that floats to the top, there will be a lot.

I made the mistake at hour 2 when I tasted the soup and it tasted bland, so I added more salt. Stupid me.

After three hours, I added the mushrooms too. Let that boil for about 45 minutes.



I made rice to eat the soup with. Made a minced ginger in soy sauce for a dipping sauce for the meat. Topped the soup with fresh parsley and some raw green onion.



I over salted the soup. It distracted the beef broth taste. It was disappointing. The beef broth would've been really good. Damn it. The rice really came in handy here. The oxtail was delicious though. The ginger soy sauce is great for meat.
I really want a do over with this one, this could've been so good.

-a

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Pen Drive, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://pen-drive-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.