Thursday, October 25, 2007

Eggplant Parmasan

I've been so busy at work lately that I haven't been able to put much thought into making new dishes. I have been repeating stuff so not much new stuff to write about.

Here is a vegetarian dish. My first for the blog.

1 big eggplant ( I forgot to take the picture before I cut the thing)
a bunch of mushrooms
a jar of tomato-based pasta sauce, I used one with olives
a lot of mozzarella, a lot of parmasan cheese
bread crumb and crackers



I didn't bother with using egg to make the bread crumb stick, i decided to just make it like a pastaless lasagna.

I coated a oven tray with non-stick spray and layered the cut-up eggplant on th bottom. Then next layer is mushrooms, then breadcrumbs and crackers. On top of that I poured on the mozzarella. I had a bunch leftover from the mac and cheese from that last entry, so i used a lot of it. Pasta sauce is next. I didn't intend to use the whole jar, i wanted to cover the entire tray and it just worked out that way. On the very top I added parmasan cheese, also leftover from before.



I baked the eggplant parmasan for an hour at 350.



Looks good. Taste pretty good too. Lots of cheese, lots of mushrooms, I like that. The sauce is really nothing special though. Maybe next time I'll try to make sauce from scratch and add some crazy ingredients to it.

I've always stayed away from vegetarian stuff before because I thought it would take some creative seasoning. Well, it didn't just go buy some pasta sauce. Haha. OK next time I won't cheat and make my own sauce. First vegetarian dish is a success.

-a

No comments: