Sunday, March 23, 2008

Shepherd's Pie

I made Shepherd's Pie over the weekend.

4 lbs of premade mashed potatoes (it was on sale at the store, otherwise I would try to make my own, and I felt lazy)
2 lbs of grounded beef.
1 can of corn
1 can of green peas
a couple cloves of garlic
1 can of mushroom gravy.
3 shallots



This is another easy and cheap recipe. First I brown the ground beef in big skillet. I added some cumin, salt, and grounded pepper on the beef as it browned. While the beef was browning, I chopped up the shallots and garlic. Put the browned ground beef and all of the vegetables in a casserole tray and mix them up.

Pour the gravy evenly on top of the beef and vegetables. Then layer the mashed potatoes on top of everything. Smooth it out so it is nice and even.



Bake the shepherd's pie for 45 minutes at 350.



This is much better tasting than it looks. The picture above looks kind of gross.
Every ingredients in this just fits together. I probably could use an extra can of gravy. Actually the next day after I put it in the fridge, it stay together better and it wasn't a mixed up blob like the above picture.

This is something that I can try and experiment with different vegetables, different spices on the meat or even different types of beef. I can see pot roast working great on this. Maybe next time.

-a

No comments: