Saturday, March 8, 2008

Chinese Mushrooms on Bok Choi

This is a pretty common dish when I go out with my family to dinner in Chinatown.
I'll try to make it with my own little twist (bacon).

A big bunch of baby bok choi
three hand full of dried Chinese mushrooms (soaked overnight)
a half pound of bacon
2 cloves of garlic
some green onions
a bit of oyster sauce
a couple cups of beef broth
a bit of corn starch



First cut the bacon slices into little pieces then brown them in a medium skillet. Take the bacon out and leave the bacon fat in the skillet for later.

Mince the garlic and put in the bacon fat. Add the bok choi, add a bit of water and salt, cover and let simmer for about 6-7 minutes.

Now the mushrooms, put them in a pot add the browned bacon, chopped green onions, and beef broth. I also added some of the water I used to soak the mushrooms in. The water smelled good and I thought it would be good. Let it come to a boil, then in a separate little dish mix the oyster sauce, corn starch and a couple spoon full of water and mix them. Add that into the boiling mushrooms. Continue to let it boil and reduce it to about about 2/3.

Uncover the bok choi and toss it a bit for a few minutes and put them in a plate. When the mushroom sauce reduced to a nice thick sauce, pour it over the bok choi.



I served it with rice.



This was pretty good, the sauce is different from what I have had in restaurants. I think they didn't use beef broth and just cooked in water and oyster sauce and corn starch. I like what I made though. I was impatient and didn't brown the bacon enough. I would have liked it to be more crispy. Next time, I'd brown the bacon more and maybe use less beef broth and more oyster sauce to change th sauce up a bit.

-a

No comments: