Monday, January 21, 2008

Chili 2

It was a zero degree cold Chicago weekend. Chili sounds appropriate. This time I made the chili a little different than last time. Lets see how it turns out.

1 28 oz. can of chopped tomatoes
1 6 oz. can of tomato paste
1 jalapeƱo pepper
1 poblano pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 medium size white onion
1 can of corn
2 cans of black beans
a bunch of cilantro
a lb of grounded beef
a lb of grounded turkey
a bottle of bock beer
cumin
chili powder
salt and pepper
liquid smoke
worshire sauce



First I browned the meat in a pot, add salt, pepper, cumin, worshire sauce and liquid smoke. I didn't measure anything, just threw some in. After they are cooked I set them aside in a bowl.

Next I cook the vegetables. Chop everything up, gutted the peppers. Only use about 2/3 of the cilantro. Saute the vegetables in the pot for about 6-7 minutes. I added some cumin, more salt and pepper and some chili powder to the vegetables. After the vegetables start smelling good, I added the meat back in.

After the meat goes back in the pot, I added the rest of the ingredients too. The tomatoes, beans, and beer. I added more chili powder and stir. Let the chili cook for a couple hours and stir occasionally.

When it was ready, I served it with cheese on top and a little of the cilantro that I had left.



The chili this time is good. I liked it better than the last time. The cilantro was a good call. Though the meat last time with grounded pork and beef was a bit better, the liquid smoke really added a good smell to the chili. It is a bit spicier this time, even though I use a milder pepper with the poblano, I used a lot of chili powder this time. Just enough heat for me. Good stuff. This may be the last time I do chili this season though. Then again, who knows.

-a

No comments: