Saturday, January 26, 2008

Braised Ox Tail

I didn't even know how to cook this. I went to the store and saw this and thought it would be interesting. So I bought all the stuff I thought I would need to cook ox tail and throw it all together and see what happens.

3 lbs of ox tail
1 yellow onion
a couple stems of green onion
a few slices of ginger
a handful of shredded carrots
a half box of beef broth, about 16 oz.
lots of soy sauce, between a half cup and a cup
lots of sugar, about 3 tablespoons
a splash of worshire sauce.



First, I brown the ox tail a little in a big pot. Just barely cook the outside a bit. Then I threw in the ginger and chopped up yellow and green onions. Let that cook for a few minutes.



Then put everything else in, the carrots, broth, sugar, soy sauce, worshire sauce. Stir it a bit to mix it up and let it simmer on low heat for 3 hours.



I made rice to have with it because the flavor is gonna be strong with all the soy sauce I used.



For not having a plan, a recipe to follow, I'm proud of what I made here. It is actually pretty damn good. Braising it for 3 hours make the ox tail very tender. The flavor is good, very beefy taste. Goes great with the sweetness of carrots and all the sugar I used.

I tossed the bones, I probably could have saved it to make broth. Maybe next time.

-a

No comments: