Saturday, February 23, 2008

Cold Soba With Peanut Sauce

I had to make something vegetarian for a little get together at my place, because one of my friends is vegetarian. I like when I have guinea pigs to try my experiments.

one pack of soba noodles (about 12 oz precooked)
two handfuls of dried Chinese black mushrooms
half a head of red cabbage
a few stems of green onions
a pound of baked tofu
a handful of shredded carrots
lots of sesame seeds
Sesame oil
Peanut sauce
soy sauce



The mushrooms takes a bit of preparing. I had to soak them in water overnight. When they're done soaking, they're nicely plumped and soft. Cut off the stems and cook. Boil them in water for a little while. Drain and rinse in cold water until they are cool.

Cook the soba in boiling water for a few minutes. It only takes about 3 or 4 minutes. Then drain and rinse in cold water until the noodles are cool. Set the noodles aside.

Chop up the cabbage, green onions, tofu, and cooked mushrooms. Throw them and the carrots in with the noodles. Sprinkle a lot of sesame seeds, I used about a half cup and probably could've used more. Add some soy sauce, not too much. Add sesame oil, a good amount. Toss and add peanut sauce, use a lot. Use as much as necessary. I tasted it as I toss to make sure I'm using enough.



Either put the whole thing in the fridge for a little or just let it chill in room temperature. Then serve.



Haha. This turned out very good. I liked it, my guests like it (or at least that's what they said). This dish is probably better for summer, but it was good anyway. The cabbage adds a nice crunchiness to it. The sesame oil adds a very nice smell, it goes great with peanut sauce.

I always thought vegetarian dishes are hard to season and stuff, but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

-a

No comments: