Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Garlic Shrimps

I saw this recipe in a magazine. It seems simple enough and I like shrimps.

1 bunch of shrimps (about 20)
4 cloves of garlic
1 jalapeño pepper
lots of olive oil
salt
a bit of dry rosemary



I had frozen shrimps, so I defrosted them by running cold water over the shrimps in a strainer.

Chop up the garlic and jalapeño. Leave the guts and seeds of the pepper in, you want this spicy. Throw them in a skillet and drench them in olive oil. I used a lot of olive oil, about a half cm deep.

Let the oil get hot over high heat. The idea is to sear the shrimps so it is a bit crispy on the outside. After the oil is nice and hot, put the defrosted shrimps in the skillet. Give it a few minutes on each sides. Add salt and rosemary on each sides of the shrimps as they cook.



I ran into a little problem here. I think the shrimps are not completely defrosted or maybe they are just too wet. The shrimps started sweating. Water started coming out and the shrimps are not searing. They just kinda boiled in oil and water. I didn't want to overcook the shrimps so as soon as the shrimps looked cooked I pulled them. Because of the water coming out of the shrimps, the shrimps didn't pick up the flavor of the garlic and the pepper very much.

I put the shrimps on a bed of spinach because veges are good for me.



It didn't taste great, it was ok. I think I can do better next time. I didn't pick up the spiciness and the garlicness. It is not crispy like how I intend it to be. Boo!

Next time, I will defrost the shrimps ahead of time in the fridge, then maybe pat it dry on paper towel before I cook them. I will post an update. Hopefully it will be better.

-a

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I have this problem with shrimp too... still trying to figure out how to get around it. I have towel dried about 5 times with paper towel, that helped.

Anonymous said...

Shrimps are no good in over-cooked.
They shrink and become hard. You will never be able to sear the shrimps and make them crispy like potato chips.

You can find "Garlic Shrimps" in the menu of Chinese Restaurants. The course is steamed.

Alex said...

Actually, I've already had a second attempt at this. I thawed the shrimps in the fridge over night and let them dry on a couple sheets paper towels and let them dry for about 5 minutes before searing them.

I wasn't going for potato chips, I just wanted a nice texture on the outside. My 2nd attempt worked great. I just didn't take pictures, so I didn't post about them.

Anonymous said...

I аm гeаlly loνing thе theme/design оf
youг web site. Dо you eveг run іnto any web bгowsеr cοmpatibility problemѕ?
A numbeг of my blog reаdеrs have comрlained abоut my
ωebsite not οpeгаting сorгectly in Εxplorer but looks
greаt in Safаri. Do уοu hаѵе any reсommenԁations to
helρ fix thіs isѕue?

mу web-ѕіte: Αutο
shiρping (195.8.98.52)

Anonymous said...

What's up, I would like to subscribe for this web site to obtain latest updates, therefore where can i do it please help.

Take a look at my web blog where to buy coffee pure cleanse