Thursday, February 28, 2008

Meat 101 Class

I went to another class at The Chopping Block. This one was about cooking meat.

It was a lot of fun. We made a "Red Wine Beef Daube" which is a braised beef stew type thing. This was ok, I think if the class was longer and it had more time to cook this would taste a lot better. The beef could be a bit more tender. The sauce was good though, it was red wine and a bunch of veges and spices. I forgot exactly what.

We also made a "Sausage and Mushroom Stuffed Pork Loin". This was pretty good. My group kinda made it too big and it took a little longer to cook than everyone else's. I was already full by the time this was ready. I probably learned the most cooking this dish. Learned to butterfly a loin the right way; learn to deglaze and make sauce. Although we didn't brine the pork, we talked about it and I will have to try that sometime.

Lastly we made a "Grilled Lamb Chops 'Scottaditti'". This was my favorite. Delicious and easy to make. It's probably expensive though, it uses a rack of lamb.

Like the knives skill class I took, this reminds me of all the kitchen equipment I need to buy. I'm gonna have to go shopping soon.

-a

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just started working for a specialty food company, marxfoods.com, and we're featuring 10 tenderloins to "invigorate and add variety to your plate." It's really interesting stuff (about 60% which I haven't tried) including ostrich, alligator, bison, Kobe beer, etc. If you run across any of these items or try them, I'd love to hear feedback. I have heard wild boar is a healthier alternative to pork.

Anonymous said...

That was supposed to be Kobe beef (not beer)! ... but if anyone tries Kobe beer let me know. :o)