Sunday, July 1, 2007

Rib roast

Yesterday I made a 4.75 lb rib roast because I want to be done with cooking for the next few days. I like cooking meat, they are much easier than vegetables because they have natural flavoring to them and I don't have to do much as far as seasoning goes. Eventually, hopefully I'll learn to cook vegetables better.

This roast will last me a few days. I googled "rib roast" and found several recipes that are all the same. Just add salt and pepper and nothing else. AWESOME, this is easy too. The differences between the recipes are all about how long and what temperature to cook it. I decided on low and slow. I went to Paulina Meat Market for the rib roast, it is expensive. 4.75 lb cost me 68 bucks. This is like 5 meals of prime rib, at least. So it's ok.

4.75 lbs rib roast, (bone chopped off but tied back on)
fresh grounded black pepper (lots)
sea salt (lots).
Last minute addition of 1 clove of garlic and a splash of olive oil.


I rubbed the salt and pepper on the meat and let it sit in room temperature for a while. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Yes, 200. I'm suppose to let it sit for a while to let the middle warm a bit to make cooking the thing more even.


I threw the meat in the oven for about 4-5 hours. Cooked it til the middle reaches 120 degrees for rare. Last minute I decided to add a clove of garlic and a splash of oil for the juice. i don't know why.


Five hours later I pulled it out and let it rest for a few minutes before carving. I need a new knife. I butchered the meat (ha). and teared an ugly piece out and it wasn't bad at all. Alost the entire meat is pink rare. It is tender, juicy, delicious.



That was the most bang for the effort (not necessary for the bucks). Lots of good steaks for barely any work. Good shit.

-a

1 comment:

korapop78 said...

little too rare for me :(