Monday, July 16, 2007

Seared Ahi Tuna

Tonight I made seared ahi tuna. I haven't cooked fish in a loooong time mostly because I'm not that good at it. I can't rely on the meat's natural flavoring; it takes seasoning and stuff. There is only one way to get better and tuna steak was on sale at the grocery store. This is my chance.

*WARNING* This dish is not for the faint of heart, it is served rare. I am only going to seared the outside of the steak. Well done equals dry as hell fish. I don't like dry as hell fish.

Yesterday, I started out marinading the tuna steak in soy sauce, a little sea salt, and crushed rosemary. I don't know the first thing about cooking fish so I decided to use whatever. Rosemary was my whatever. I marinaded the fish for like 30 hours. This will come into play later.



After marinading, I rub dijon mustard and fresh grounded pepper on the fish. I heated olive oil on high medium heat, let it get hot for this one before putting the fish in. Seared the thing about 2 or 3 minutes on each side. I also steamed some asparagus as a side. Again I didn't measure anything, I just winged it.



It came out pretty good. Doneness-wise it was just the way I wanted. Seared outside rare inside.

Flavor-wise, it was good too. The rosemary and mustard goes good together, with the soy sauce the thing tasted almost like red meat. No fishy taste at all, even though it was rare. One problem though, it was too salty. I think I over-marinaded it. Next time I got to cut down the marinading time to like 1 hour. And add more sides, maybe rice, I'm still a bit hungry.

I will definitely try this one again. I think with a little adjustment this will be pretty damn good.

-a

No comments: